The accidents on crosswalks are the most common, mainly caused because pedestrians walk confidently thinking that cars are going to wait. Unfortunately, this does not happen all the time. The accident can be caused by a car, a motorcycle, a taxi, a bus, even a bicycle, and normally the pedestrian bears the impact and often falls a few meters to the road and injures him or herself, or falls on the hood of the car, which can cause serious injuries.
Provided that you are not exclusively guilty of the accident, you can claim compensation for the damages caused in the accident. However, if you have crossed through an unsecured place or are partially to blame, you should get in touch with a lawyer to help you.
The burden of proof is always on the victim, and the insurance companies tend to hold the pedestrian responsible whenever there is any doubt as to the manner of the accident, especially if the injuries have been serious because then the amount of compensation will need to be increased.
What do you need to claim for the injury suffered?
Given that the victim has to prove the guilt in the accident, the first moments after it are fundamental and you must follow a few steps necessary to claim the compensation later:
- Immediately call the Police to come to record the scene of the accident where they include all the data of those involved and the nature of the accident.
- Notify the emergency services so that they attend to the injured right away, and avoid moving until the paramedics arrive. In an accident, the injuries can be serious and it is always preferable to wait for the paramedics to come to make an initial assessment and then determine whether to transfer the patient or not.
- If possible, collect data from eyewitnesses. Many times your statement is key to accredit the guilt in an accident, especially if there are doubts about how the accident occurred or the driver wants to be exempted from responsibility by blaming the pedestrian.
- Go to the nearest hospital as soon as possible, even if you believe the injuries are mild. In many cases, when there have not been serious injuries such as soft tissue, the painful symptoms appear between the next 24-72 hours. And in no case should more than 72 hours pass from the accident to the first medical assistance.
- Consult immediately with a lawyer for your rights. They are specialists that from the first moment will indicate the steps to take and the necessary documentation you will need.
Even before you recover from your injuries, you should start looking for a lawyer who can help you claim compensation. Anthony Dean Castelli is a personal injury attorney and a businessman based in Ohio who advocates for pedestrians injured in accidents. If you have suffered a serious injury because of an accident that wasn’t your fault, you should get in touch with Anthony Dean Castelli, who can help you claim the compensation you deserve.